The last Penang Cross Channel Swim event was held in 1988 and we are reviving this event to further promote & add to the exciting sports tourism in Penang.
The Penang Cross Channel Swim is a unique & challenging sports event and many open water swimmers will want to add this event to their achievements but not all who attempt it will succeed.
It is not easy organizing this event as we have to get permissions from the Port Authorities and coordinate as the Penang Channel is also a busy port with ships passing through.
For those who wants to attempt this challenge to swim across the Penang Channel, it is an opportunity as individuals cannot swim across the channel without properpermission which has been arranged through this event, the logistics, neccessary permits,etc
You will also see from the page, the number of supporting government agencies involved in this event.
PRE-RACE BRIEFING AND RACE-KIT COLLECTION:-
1. Thursday 17th March, 4.00pm at LOBSTER SEAFOOD RESTAURANT, Pantai Bersih, Butterworth
2. Friday, 18th March, 2.00pm at PENANG GOLF CLUB, Bukit Jambul, Penang
* Participants can opt to attend either days for a race briefing by the Race Director Mr Ang TH & collect race kits as well.
|Date||19 March 2016 ( Saturday )|
|Event day Registration Time||5:30 Am to 6.30 Am|
|Start Venue||Gurney Drive (Beach front behind 8 Gurney Condominium)|
|End Vanue||Pantai Bersih, Mainland Butterworth (Lobster Seafood Restaurant)|
Malaysians @ RM 190.00 per participant, Foreigners @ USD$ 80.00 per participant
* Entry Fee excludes 6% administration fee.
Race Route / Map
Start Point : Gurney Drive (Beach front behind 8 Gurney Condominium)
End Point : Pantai Bersih, Mainland Butterworth (Lobster Seafood Restaurant)
Estimated Distance: 6.0km
Full Cross Channel Swim (6.0km)
Men 40 and below (born 1976 and after)
Women 40 and below (born 1976 and after)
Men 41 and above (born 1975 and after)
Women 41 and above (born 1975 and after)
Trophies will be awarded to the top ten finishers in each category.
Finisher's medals (an exclusive Penang Pewter 3D medal) will be awarded to all swimmers who complete the entire distance of the channel swim.
All swimmers will receive a Certificate of Participation.
Local Malaysian participants at RM190.00 (Ringgit Malaysia One Hundred and Ninety) per swimmer
Foreign participants at USD$80.00 (US Dollars Eighty) or RM368 (Ringgit Malaysia Three Hundred and Sixty-Eight) per swimmer
Entry & Registration
Entry & Registration closing date on 12 noon 8th March 2016.
Health and Safety
1. Swimmers will be marked on the arms during registration prior to the race. Please ensure your race number is clearly visible.
2. Swimmers must wear the race swim caps provided by the Organizer.
3. Swimmers may swim in any style throughout the race.
4. Goggles and the safe swimmer float may be used. Any other aids are not allowed.
5. Proper swim attire must be worn. Preferably 1-piece long sleeve and trunk.
6. Support crews are not allowed. Any assistance received during the swim will result in immediate disqualification (with the exception of medical aid).
7. Other than to receive medical aid, swimmers are not to come into contact with any safety boat, kayaks.
8. Swimmers in difficulty shall signal the safetyboat/kayak for assistance.
9. Cut off time for the race is 4 hours. Any swimmer still in the water at 11.00am will be asked to stop and taken on board the safety boat.
1. All swimmers must abide by the rules & regulations of the race/event.
2. In the event of inclement weather of unfavorable sea conditions, the Organizer reserves the right to delay the commencement of the race or postpone the race in the interest of safety.
3. Any dispute or protest against another swimmer or any violation in the race shall be made in writing to the Organizer within 30 minutes of his/her finish time. A fee of RM100.00 must be accompanied with the appropriate protest form. The fee will not be refunded if the protest is over ruled.
4. The Organizer reserves the right to use any photographs or recordings of the swimmer/participants for any commercial, advertising or promotional purposes without prior notice.
5. It is the responsibility of each individual swimmer/participant to ensure that they are physically and medically fit to swim in this race.
6. The Race Director/Organizer/Race officials reserves the right to remove any swimmer/participant from participation if the swimmer is deemed the be physically unfit/incapable of continuing the race.
7. All swimmers must complete and sign the indemnity form and attach a copy of his/her NRIC/Passport.
8. Swimmers below the age of 18 must obtain parental/guardian consent with a copy of the latter's NRIC/Passport.
9. The Organizer will not be held responsible/liable for any accidents, damages or loss to personal properties.
10. The Organizer will not be held responsible/liable for any expenses incurred in the event of any cancellation/postponement of this race/event due to weather conditions or situations outside the control of the Organizers.
11. The Race Director/Organizer's decisions is final in all matters pertaining to the race/event.
Reporting & Registration of Swimmers
@ Gurney Drive ( Behind 8 Gurney )
(Safety Boats/Kayaks/Officials take positions)
Flag off Cross Channel swimmers
by YB Chong Eng
VIPs & Officials transfer to Northam Beach Ocean Green
to await arrival of swimmers
Friendship Lunch @ Lobster Seafood Restaurant
Official Speeches & Prize Presentation Ceremony
Speech by Dato' Ong Poh Eng
Speech by YB Puan Chong Eng
Presentation of Prizes & Finishers' Medals
Penang Amateur Swimming Association
Majlis Sukan Negara Pulau Pinang
Venue Sponsor By:
Lobster Seafood Restaurant
Official Online Registration By:
Rocket Science Sports
Polar Bear Club of Zhengzhou
MAJLIS PERBANDARAN SEBERANG PERAI (MPSP)
MAJLIS PERBANDARAN PULAU PINANG (MPPP)
POLIS DI RAJA MALAYSIA (PDRM)
JABATAN KESIHATAN NEGERI PULAU PINANG
HOSPITAL BESAR PULAU PINANG
HOSPITAL SEBERANG JAYA
JABATAN BALAI BOMBA & PENYELAMAT NEGERI PULAU PINANG
PEJABAT METEOROLOGI NEGERI PULAU PINANG
SURUHANJAYA PELABUHAN PULAU PINANG
PENANG PORT SDN BHD
PENANG BRIDGE SDN BHD
JABATAN LAUT NEGERI PULAU PINANG
JABATAN PERIKANAN NEGERI PULAU PINANG
PERSATUAN NELAYAN NEGERI PULAU PINANG